BMW, Yugo, Fiat, Honda, Bentley?If you are a college student then you likely don't care if your car lasts much longer than your degree. In fact, if you bought the Yugo in the photo above, then you'd be happy if it got you through school regardless of its current state. What is important is: will the car last while I am in college? I can offer suggestions based on years of repair work.
Not Always True but Likely Generalizations
- American cars are much cheaper to buy but much more expensive to own.
- Japanese Imports break less
- Japanese brands are the most reliable in this order:
1. Toyota 2. Honda 3. Nissan 4. Mazda 5. Mitsubishi
- It is not a good idea to try to own a used luxury car such a BMW or Mercedes.
- Used Honda parts are usually cheap and the labor time is less that most
other care makes.
My Cars, My Advice
I have owned 13 different used cars and worked on numerous others. I have rebuilt engines, replaced transmissions, done body work, and all sorts of general mechanic
jobs. I know how parts feel and a have a pretty good sense of quality. Feel free to provide feedback.
This is a list of the cars that I have owed:
| 1988 Buick Skyhawk |
(my first beloved)
| 1991 |
| 19xx |
| 1995 |
| 1993 |
| 2002 |
| 1983 |
| 1998 |